Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Icky.

Fredrik felt icky yesterday so he ended up staying home from work, as well as today. He doesn't have a cold, but he doesn't feel very well and he has lots of mucus and all that yummy stuff. Leia and I have been coughing a bit, mostly at night. I have a sore, very dry, scratchy throat, and I am assuming that she has the same.

Since he has been home, Fredrik has been taking Leia to daycare. :) Which is good. It is fun for him to take her, and good for her to have someone else "abandon" her, not just mommy. :))

We were wondering why Fredrik didn't get any calls from work yesterday, as he always does when he stays home.. And then at 14.30 we realized his phone had been turned off all day.. :/ :) Since then he has only had 2 calls, though.

After the New Year, he will be the only worker for Metria in Dalsland.
With Lantmäteriet, there are 4 people in the office. And Metria has 3. Well 1 of those has already left, and the other will be gone after December. Which just leaves Fredrik. :P At least he has job security.

Here is the "county" of Dalsland:



And now Fredrik is going to be the only Metria worker for the region. They aren't going to try to replace both workers, so they have an ad out for 1 person to do both jobs, which just isn't going to happen.

Here is an interesting link I found, might be a fun read for some of you!
Dalsland

Come to find out yesterday, that his last job, the construction company SKANSKA, is letting go of 2000 people in Sweden! Wow. With the economy being so bad, new homes aren't being built, so the construction industry has been hit pretty hard. So it was probably a good job change for him when we decided to move. Although I don't think his job would have personally been affected, since he wasn't a labor worker.


But here is another cool link:
Västra Gotaland

This would be.. our "district" I suppose. Swedish land isn't divided, obviously, the same as it is in the US. In the US you have cities and towns, and townships, counties, and States. The Swedish division of land doesn't have the same meaning as in the US.



After Fredrik gets his pay raise soon (his 2nd in 18 months), he might very well be the highest paid Metria and Lantmäteriet "Mätningsingenjör" (measuring engineer) in all of Västra Götaland.

Fredrik's work perimeter includes Åmål, Bengtsfors and Dals-Ed. But he's been working as far South as Lilla-Edet.




Hopefully all that information is interesting to someone. :/ :)


School is okay. I am getting pretty far into my accounting stuff. It isn't very confusing, but there is just so much little stuff to do. So many papers that have to be printed, preliminary papers and final papers. What a waste of paper!!

Today is Leia's Farfar's 60th birthday!

Hmm...

Leia's pooping is still a problem. So Fredrik called today and she will see the pediatrician next Tuesday (he is only in Åmål on Tuesdays).

And my driver's license. I have never given an update on that, have I?
Well.. I received my papers back that I sent about our wedding, and my name change. And now I have to pay someone to translate about 4 lines worth of text (which includes names and a date)on our marriage certificate, and then it has to be notorized by a public official, a lawyer. THEN I can send it back to the DMV. Needless to say this is a horrible hassle, and very, very annoying. I e-mailed about 50 different official, Government accepted translators. For the 4-5 lines of text, I got quotes of 900-160 sek for the fee (150-30$)..... I went with someone that said it would be around 200sek. There were many that were super busy, and they all recommended the same guy, which was the one I was planning to go with anyways.

A marriage certificate in Sweden is just a keepsake. It has no legal meaning whatsoever. In the US, a marriage certificate is very important and has legal meaning. But they don't want to accept that it isn't that way in other countries..... (something done differently than how the US does it?? No! Not possible!). So, I have to pay to have this meaningless piece of paper translated and pay to have it notorized so that I can have my last name changed on my DL.

In Sweden, if you need an official document for you to prove who you are or who you are married to or when your name was changed, or who your children are, etc.. etc.. You just get a print out from the local Tax Office. I sent this paper, in English, in an unopened envelop, and it was returned to me. I find it interesting that the US State Department accepts this paper as a legal document, to change my passport, renew my passport, to apply or change my social security card (personnummer), to apply a child as a citizen, etc.. etc.. My my local Department of Motor Vehiles in my State of Ohio won't accept the paper........

Just plain stupid.

Okay... :P Enough ranting. I have plenty of other stuff to do.. :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pic!!!! The info is very interesting!!!